Friday, January 27, 2012

Why I Love Reiki

Starting this blog has been a reaffirmation of how much I love and rely on holistic therapies. As I've said before, having the right tools to help my kids has been of utmost priority for me in recent years and I always get super animated whenever I discover a new one, or even when I explore an existing one further and in more detail. Super animated of course is literally that - I jump up and down on my bed and my eyes get all sparkly. J cannot understand it and why would he, he's not as obsessed with this stuff as I am!

Back to the topic at hand...Reiki. A friend of mine had taken Reiki courses around the time that Z was born and had said nothing but amazing things about it. Reiki is a Japanese, energy healing technique that promotes relaxation and stress relief but also has been reputed to help heal the body in addition to the mind. Not so far fetched if you think about it as a stress free mind is probably 2/3 (if not more) of the way there to a healthy body. It involves the laying of hands on different parts of the body and its premise is that we all have energy flowing through us which needs to be replenished at frequent intervals in order for us to be at our optimum health. 

Sound easy? It is! In fact, that's the best part. 

What better tool for a caregiver to have at her disposal than her very own hands? I don't need to remember to bring Reiki with me in my ginormous handbag. Good thing too as I don't have any more damn space. It's already overflowing with the other essentials. Once you are attuned to Reiki, it is with you forever. You do, of course, have to take a course (hey, it's easy but not free!) but I assure you, it will be one of the best 5-6 hours you have spent in a long time! I love the fact that my kids are  comforted by my touch and that they also reap health benefits from it at the same time! It is also such a great way to get in touch with your contemplative side - Reiki calms the mind and helps you get grounded.  Needless to say, when you're grounded, chances are your kids will be too.


I have used Reiki for fevers, colds and even to help promote better sleep. As with all remedies, this one needs consistency and you will notice that it gets more effective, the more you use it. The most success I've had has been when dealing with localized pain relief but I have heard many a story of it benefitting others in so many ways. For optimum health however, you should really try to do it on a daily basis. For more information, have a look at the links section on my home page.




Sending positive vibes your way!


~S~

No comments:

Post a Comment